looking for a fast way to dump a dvd to a file on my hdd

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Wed Feb 2 20:30:28 UTC 2011

Hi,
Reference:

Alexander Best wrote:
> hi there,
>
> i'd like to copy several dvds to my hdd. however my attempts so far haven't
> really been that successfull. basically using dd(1) is just way too slow.

What sort of DVD ?
Normal file system ?
	If so, I have no comment on speed.
	Exxcept that I think bs=32k is normal ?

If Hollywood specially crippled movies with deliberate bad sectors
or whatever latest tricks theyre up to, maybe thats slowing the drive,
with retries, in which case you might want eg
	vobcopy -b

> so far dd(1) with a bs=2048 finished after:

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
 Mail plain text;  Not quoted-printable, Not HTML, Not base 64.