Removal of sysinstall from HEAD and lack of a post-install configuration tool

Pedro Giffuni pfg at freebsd.org
Thu Dec 29 18:37:44 UTC 2011

--- Gio 29/12/11, Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn at freebsd.org> ha scritto:

> I'd appreciate any specific comments you might have, and
> especially
> specific suggestions for improvements. Except from people
> who are old
> hands at sysinstall, I've received almost universally
> positive comments
> on the user experience. Patches would be even more
> appreciated, since
> real life has intervened to steal most of my FreeBSD time.
> -Nathan

FWIW;

I have practically given up on installing FreeBSD lately
and I mostly use PC-BSD. I mainly see two big issues:

-X.Org has become very difficult to install. Setting up
hald and friends, not to mention that you have to choose
carefully your hardware previously. It's a nightmare.
- I am OK with sysinstall disappearing: however it was
nice to have all the setup tools in one place. How am
I supposed to install prebuilt packages (and the myriad
of dependencies) from now on? Ports are cool but having
to wait to rebuild gcc to be able to use scilab is a
nonsense.

PC-BSD is not without problems though. In my system
it wants to use "latam" kbd which doesn't even
exist AFAICT.

Just my $0.02, I know writing a replacement for the
full blown sysinstall is a rather heroic thing to do.

Regards,

Pedro.