Benchmark (Phoronix): FreeBSD 9.0-RC2 vs. Oracle Linux 6.1 Server

Alex Kuster vertexSymphony at zoho.com
Sun Dec 25 04:08:25 UTC 2011

On 12/24/2011 12:04, O. Hartmann wrote:
> There maybe serious reasons having the Linuxulator, i do not know. But
> if not, why spending rare developer resources on that? As far as I'm
> concerned, the only real reason having the Linuxulator is some stuff
> from Adobe for desktop systems, Flash. That's it.
Well, Linuxulator allows me to use binary only applications of Linux in
FreeBSD without too much problem.
I think running Firefox in the Linuxulator is nonsense, because it's
supposed that Linuxulator is there for applications that can not be
ported to FreeBSD (for example: the code is not open, you bough a
privative linux-or-windows-only binary app). Naturally the Linuxulator
will always lag behind Linux, but it works for me and I bet I'm not the
only one.

I think it should only be removed if

1) no one wants to maintain it
2) It obstructs the development of new code.

Otherwise, I see no logical reason in this.

Regards, Alex.

P.S → Also notice that this is an offtopic of the original discussion,
sorry.