Benchmark (Phoronix): FreeBSD 9.0-RC2 vs. Oracle Linux 6.1 Server

O. Hartmann ohartman at mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de
Sat Dec 24 15:04:33 UTC 2011

On 12/23/11 12:44, Alexander Best wrote:
[...]
>> Many suggested that the Linux binaries be run via the FreeBSD Linux
>> emulation. Unchanged.
>> There is one problem here though, the emulation is still 32 bit.
>
> plus the current emulation layer is far from complete. a lot of stuff hasn't
> been implemented yet (meaning it's missing or implemented as dummy code).
>
> try running recent firefox linux binaries on freebsd. they will all crash
> almost instantly.
>
> cheers.
> alex

[...]

Sometimes I'm glad to have the Linuxulator, for instance using
Mathematica or an older 32bit IDL or even MATLAB. But lately, I run into
problems on more recent platforms like FreeBSD 9 and 10.

There maybe serious reasons having the Linuxulator, i do not know. But
if not, why spending rare developer resources on that? As far as I'm
concerned, the only real reason having the Linuxulator is some stuff
from Adobe for desktop systems, Flash. That's it.
For the scientific stuff, I try to move my people towards OpenSource,
since we do "standard" stuff and I expect students and scientists
solving problems without fancy coloured clicky funny things. In
"production", this might be another point of view. SciLab from INRIA is
great, MuPAD, MAXIMA also.

But is there a real need running the Linux binary of Forefox on FreeBSD?

Regards,
Oliver