Benchmark (Phoronix): FreeBSD 9.0-RC2 vs. Oracle Linux 6.1 Server

Vincent Hoffman vince at unsane.co.uk
Fri Dec 23 10:38:25 UTC 2011

On 23/12/2011 02:56, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> On Dec 22, 2011, at 3:58 PM, Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd at jdc.parodius.com> wrote:

>>> Nice to see movement ;-)
>>>
>>> But there seems something unclear:
>>>
>>> man make.conf(5) says, that  MALLOC_PRODUCTION is a knob set in
>>> /etc/make.conf.
>>> The WiJi says, MALLOC_PRODUCTION is to be set in /etc/src.conf.
>>>
>>> What's right and what's wrong now?
>> I can say with certainty that this value belongs in /etc/make.conf
>> (on RELENG_8 and earlier at least).
>>
>> src/share/mk/bsd.own.mk has no framework for MK_MALLOC_PRODUCTION,
>> so, this is definitely a make.conf variable.
> Take the advice in tuning(7) with a grain of salt because a number of suggestions are really outdated. I know because I filed a PR last night after I saw how out of synch some of the defaults it claimed were with reality on 9.x+. And I know other suggestions in the manpage are dated as well ;/.
There is a wiki page http://wiki.freebsd.org/SystemTuning which is
currently more or less tuning(7) with some annotations, the idea being
to sort out whats outdated/invalid with an aim of rewriting tuning(7) to
be more accurate and useful. I'll grab any info in your pr thats not up
there already to keep it updated if thats ok.

Vince