jexec -h hostname option

Dan The Man dan at sunsaturn.com
Thu Dec 22 16:03:44 UTC 2011

On Thu, 22 Dec 2011, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:

> On 22. Dec 2011, at 14:03 , Dan The Man wrote:
>

>> http://www.freebsd.org/relnotes/CURRENT/relnotes/new.html#USERLAND
>> jexec(8) now supports -h hostname option to specify the jail where the command will be executed.
>>

> Oh wow.  That's all but current.
>

>> When was this added? I don't see it functioning:
>
> 3 years 6 months ago and it was shortly afterwards removed again as neither
> a) the hostname not b) the ip addresses needed to be unique anymore with
> multi-IP jails (a) not even before that).  The suggested replacement was
> -n to name the jails yourself.  I think the uniqueness limit has since been
> removed on that as well but the option has stayed and by default is the
> jail ID these days and it's name=<..> in the modern syntax.
>
> /bz
>
> --
> Bjoern A. Zeeb                                 You have to have visions!
>         Stop bit received. Insert coin for new address family.

Yeah, seems problematic, from what I have seen so far everytime you stop
and restart the jail it gets a different jail ID, which would make it
difficult to cron anything to execute in the jail. I can't seem to get
jexec to take anything but jail id.

Came up with a temporary type solution assuming you have only 1 jail:
JAILID=`/usr/sbin/jls -n name|cut -d '=' -f 2`; /usr/sbin/jexec $JAILID
command

I can see this being problematic for a long term/portable solution.

Dan.

--
Dan The Man
CTO/ Senior System Administrator