WITHOUT_PROFILE=yes by default

Ulrich Spörlein uqs at spoerlein.net
Thu Dec 22 12:45:41 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-12-19 at 12:50:42 -0700, Warner Losh wrote:

> On Dec 2, 2011, at 9:52 AM, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
>
> >> Using profiled libs and gprof to profile your code has been obsolete
> >> in FreeBSD on i386 and amd64 for over six years now.
> >
> > Funny, it still seems to work on my systems.
>
> Worked for me last time I tried as well.  Was able to find the problems w/o a hassle.  turning them off is plain wrong.
>
> Can we at least ship profiled libraries for the release?

I didn't want to get in on the discussion, but for me every time you need
to recompile software to get to feature A, I consider it a bug.

Rebooting to enable a feature? Sure. Recompiling software to enable a
feature? What? Is this the middle ages? What happened to shipping
software/binaries that can work for everybody?

The way I see it, profiling currently works for *both*, users that need
the libs and users that don't need the libs.

Reducing compile times is not a worthy goal, IMHO, as no user should
ever have need to re-compile FreeBSD. Neither to tune something in
GENERIC nor to rebuild world.

Just my 2 cents,
Uli