Benchmark (Phoronix): FreeBSD 9.0-RC2 vs. Oracle Linux 6.1 Server

Petro Rossini petro.rossini at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 00:54:03 UTC 2011

Hi all,

just a thought here:

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 12:45 AM, Daniel Kalchev <daniel at digsys.bg> wrote:
>> As were told, Phoronix used "default" setup, not tuned.
> Not really. They created some weird test environment, at least for FreeBSD
> -- who knows, possibly for Linux as well.
>
> For example, ZFS is by no means a default file system in FreeBSD. You need
> to go trough manual steps, to enable it, to build the pool, filesystems etc.

..

Of course the benchmark setup and procedure is strange but..

it could be improved, I think.

Have a good collection of tuning parameters for "popular cases",
advertised properly so it gets hard "to miss them".

I am a sysadmin and, over the years, I had to run file servers,
database servers, web servers, tomcats...

Well, most of the time I set it up and "it just works" because the
system in question is not maxed out, not even close to it.

But if I want to squeeze the last 20% out of it googling starts, and
here and there I find hints how to tune the OS, the file system, what
scheduler to use etc.

It would be great to have a set of case studies at hand, e.g. under
the /usr/share/examples directory, that describes tweaks to have a
performing postgresql server, or mysql, or apache or a desktop or..

Things I find, for example, in the BSD Magazine.

Maybe benchmarks become more meaningful then..

A general remark for people doing benchmarks for comparison: you need
a well-informed system engineer for the systems you compare. So, if
you compare a Linux system with  FreeBSD, have two experienced admins
that know their OS well.

Regards
Peter