CVS removal from the base

Pedro F. Giffuni giffunip at tutopia.com
Sun Dec 11 15:12:28 UTC 2011

--- Dom 11/12/11, Julian H. Stacey <jhs at berklix.com> ha scritto:
> > I have to say I am surprised by all the people that
> > still use CVS (for their own good reasons).
> >
> > It still would be helpful if cvs users could evaluate
> > OpenCVS: it's been experimental for ages now. It does
> > seem to have some advantage (other than the license)
> > in that it's smaller and better maintained (or at
> > least not too dead).
>
> Did you test it with
>     cd /usr/src/release ; make release

TBH, I don't use CVS at all. I learned to use SVN first
and for the things I needed CVS was pretty similar to SVN
but pretty obnoxious when trying to check out the history
due to the lack of atomic commits.

I would prefer to just use the same SVN server for
everything.

OpenCVS is an intermediate step, at least acceptable
for GPL cleaning purposes, for people that just can't
move to SVN right away. Still SVN is much better and
once we move we will not look back (IMHO).

Pedro.