Burning CDs and DVDs on SATA drive in FreeBSD 9.0

Thomas Mueller mueller6727 at bellsouth.net
Thu Dec 8 11:00:41 UTC 2011

from my last message:

I can't get cdrtools (cdrecord or readcd) to work on FreeBSD 9.0-RC2, and now I see RC3 is available.

I tried "options ATA_CAM" in kernel config, removing "device atapicam", but still
readcd -scanbus  or
cdrecord -scanbus
refuses to work, running as root.

"camcontrol devlist" shows my DVD drive, and I am able to mount and read /dev/cd0.

Is cdrtools buggy, or maybe the FreeBSD port is buggy?

"Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor at gsoft.com.au> responded:

> Define "refuses to work"..

> I have an oldish 9.0-CURRENT which works with cdrecord..
> [titus 1:16] ~ >cdrecord -scanbus
> Cdrecord-ProDVD-ProBD-Clone 3.00 (amd64-unknown-freebsd9.0) Copyright (C) 1995-2010 J?rg Schilling
> Using libscg version 'schily-0.9'.
> scsibus1:
>         1,0,0   100) 'PIONEER ' 'DVD-RW  DVR-112D' '1.09' Removable CD-ROM
>         1,1,0   101) *
>         1,2,0   102) *
>         1,3,0   103) *
>         1,4,0   104) *
>         1,5,0   105) *
>         1,6,0   106) *
>         1,7,0   107) *

cdrecord -scanbus
produces

cdrecord: Inappropriate ioctl for device. CAMIOCOMMAND ioctl failed. Cannot open or use SCSI driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'.
cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.
Cdrecord-ProDVD-ProBD-Clone 3.00 (amd64-unknown-freebsd9.0) Copyright (C) 1995-2010 Jörg Schilling

About the same with readcd, and cdrecord dev=help is no help.

from grarpamp <grarpamp at gmail.com>:

> In the past, I've used the ftp cdrtools pkg (made from the
> port of course) and it failed to work. It's a popular tool so my
> machine was probably out of sync. Same with burncd. However,
> compiling the current cdrtools source worked fine. So I'd try
> that first, compare, and send up a bug if need be.

> Try to skip the scan by specifying the BTL or devpath on the
> command line. The scan is a big part of the port and might
> have breakage, at least for the app below.

> Also, if you're doing audio, someone over on ports has said
> they're doing an update to cdparanoia. It's minor, but useful
> for that crowd.

> makefs and burncd are part of the base, at least on RELENG_8.
> And makefs is used in the official releases. So they should just work.

> Good luck.

You mean build cdrtools, or possibly cdrkit, directly from the source outside the FreeBSD ports collection.

I could then see if I could make that into my own port, or else install to prefix /usr/local2.

If there is a conflict between cdrkit and cdrtools, maybe install the other to prefix /usr/local3?

Then I could spawn a subshell with /usr/local2/bin or /usr/local3/bin added to the PATH.

If I get something to work, I could report back to this ports emailing list, share the benefits with others.

Tom