CVS removal from the base

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-current-local at be-well.ilk.org
Mon Dec 5 15:42:16 UTC 2011

Tom Evans <tevans.uk at googlemail.com> writes:

> On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 3:24 PM, Max Khon <fjoe at samodelkin.net> wrote:
>> CVS != csup.
>>
>> I wonder how many people will express their sentiments about CVS when
>> they really mean cvsup/csup.
>
> I wasn't going to jump onto this bikeshed, as CVS will not be going
> anywhere any time soon, I am sure.
>
> I use cvs, rather than csup. I use cvsup to fetch CVS archives to
> /home/ncvs, and check out ports from there, as described in
> development(7).
>
> If ports were no longer delivered via CVS, you may have had a point
> about removing CVS from base - but they are not.

Max Khon was the one who posted the original message in the thread.
That message explicitly stated that moving ports and doc away from CVS
was a prerequisite for removing CVS from base. As far as I've noticed,
no one has challenged that.

I'm trying to think of a way to fit the previous paragraph into the
bikeshed metaphor, but I'm coming up with nothing.