CVS removal from the base

Daniel Eischen eischen at vigrid.com
Mon Dec 5 05:44:14 UTC 2011

On Dec 4, 2011, at 7:42 PM, Julian Elischer <julian at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 12/4/11 3:36 PM, Randy Bush wrote:
>>> This seems too reasonable a suggestion, but, as always, the devil
>>> is in the details. There will be long. painful discussions (and
>>> arguments) about what to remove from the base to the new structure
>>> and what things currently NOT in the base should be promoted.
>> as one with a long list of WITHOUT_foo=YES in /etc/src.conf, this is
>> tempting.  but, as you hint, is this not just doubling the number of
>> borders over which we can argue?
>>
>> but let's get concrete here.
>>
>> i suspect that my install pattern is similar to others
>>   o custom install so i can split filesystems the way i prefer,
>>     enabling net&  ssh
>>   o pkg_add -r { bash, rsync, emacs-nox11 } (it's not a computer
>>     if it does not have emacs)
>>   o hack /etc/ssh/sshd_conf to allow root with password
>>   o rsync over ~root
>>   o hack /etc/ssh/sshd_conf to allow root only without-password
>>   o rsync over my standard /etc/foo (incl make.conf and src.conf)
>>     and other gunk
>>   o csup releng_X kernel, world, doc, ports
>>   o build and install kernel and world
>>
>> and then do whatever is special for this particular system.
>>
>> anything which would lessen/simplify the above would be much
>> appreciated.  anything not totally obiously wonderful which would
>> increase/complicate the above would not be appreciated.
>
> my suggestion is that the 'sysports' or 'foundation ports'  or
> 'basic ports', (or whatever you want to call them) in their package
> form come with the standard install in fact I'd suggest that they
> get installed into some directory by default so that 'enabling' them
> ata later time doesn't even have to fetch them to do the pkg_add.
>
> They have pre-installed entries in /etc/defaults/rc.conf. and only their rc,d
> files need to beinstalled into /etc along with their program files.
> They are as close to being as they are now with the exception of
> being installed in the final step instead of at the same time as the rest of the stuff,
> and it allows them to easily be 'deinstalled' and replaced by newer versions.

I really don't understand how this is much different than having them exist in base.  We have WITHOU_foo (I don't really care if that were to become WITH_foo if we want to default to a more minimum system), so one can always use ports if they want some different version of foo.  And it's not just releases we care about, we want a stable foo (BIND for example) with security and bug fixes throughout all updates to -stable, not just at releases.

I want to do one buildworld and have a complete and integrated system.  I don't see how having a separate repo for sysports helps; it is yet another thing I have to track.  And are ports in sysports going to default to being installed in / or /usr/local?

--
DE