WITHOUT_PROFILE=yes by default

Hans Ottevanger hans at beastielabs.net
Fri Dec 2 21:04:59 UTC 2011

On 12/02/11 19:39, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
>> Isn't this about user choice, and making sensible defaults?
>
> There are two or three "users" out of thousands complaining about the
> default. If the extra build time bugs you that much, I'll contribute
> towards buying you better build hardware, too.

Well, I am not a FreeBSD developer (though I do hunt down a bug
occasionally), but for many, many years I do develop software using
FreeBSD as a development platform. And for solving performance issues,
mainly in long running, CPU intensive (numerical) applications gprof and
all too often the profiled libraries appeared to be indispensable.

I am mostly using STABLE, but occasionally switch to CURRENT to get a
feeling for the newest developments (e.g. LLVM). One of the reasons I am
still using FreeBSD is the out-of-the-box availability of tools like the
profiler and profiled libraries. Maybe I could live with a switch in
/etc/src.conf, if it were properly documented, but that would imply that
the profiled libraries are not built anymore with any regularity. And of
course we all know where that could lead to in the future ...

I would certainly keep the profiled libraries by default in the build
for CURRENT and maybe even in STABLE. With binary installations of
RELEASE it could be an option, as it always was.

Regards,

Hans