WITHOUT_PROFILE=yes by default

Chris Rees crees at freebsd.org
Fri Dec 2 16:23:42 UTC 2011

On 2 Dec 2011 15:57, "Lyndon Nerenberg" <lyndon at orthanc.ca> wrote:

> Max, I think a reasonable default is to continue building and shipping
profiled libraries.  This keeps FreeBSD consistent with every other UNIX
variant released in the last (at least) 30 years.

> If you personally find profiled library builds slow you down too much, a
one line addition to your /etc/src.conf solves the problem for you.

> Personally, I find building kernel modules to be intolerably slow, since
I tend to run static linked kernels.  I dealt with my preference by adding
one line to my /etc/src.conf, not by submitting a patch request to disable
the functionality in the builds.

> If you choose not to profile your code, that's entirely your choice.
Breaking this functionality for everyone else who *does* make the effort to
profile their code is a non-starter.

Nothing is being broken here, just a default being changed.

Users make up a greater proportion of our userbase than developers, so
sensible defaults for them are more appropriate, right?

Chris