removing libreadline from base system

Max Khon fjoe at samodelkin.net
Fri Dec 2 08:26:49 UTC 2011

David,

On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 3:17 PM, David O'Brien <obrien at freebsd.org> wrote:

Agreed and known.  If the application(s) using libreadline weren't
> already GPL I wouldn't have spoken up.
>
> When I added the libreadline compatibility to libedit, I changed all the
> non-GPL libreadline uses to libedit.

Nope. You forgot heimdal stuff.

Agenda is available here: http://wiki.freebsd.org/GPLinBase

> If so, can it please wait 6 months until we've gotten thru the current
> nightmare that /usr/ports is on FreeBSD-CURRENT?
>
> Until this November that most ports would not build on -current, one
> still cannot 'pkg_add -r' anything, etc...
>
> Right now, I don't think we need another thing different between FreeBSD
> pre-10 and 10 that will be a /usr/ports headache.

I would let portmgr and others decide on how long will the transition take.
There is a PR about libreadline removal from base. It is being worked on.

Max