http://www.freebsd.org/marketing/os-comparison.html

Hartmann, O. ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Tue Aug 30 09:13:36 UTC 2011

On 08/30/11 09:29, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> On Monday 29 August 2011 21:58:29 Volodymyr Kostyrko wrote:
>> 27.08.2011 22:13, Hartmann, O. wrote:
>>> This website should be brushed up or taken offline!
>>> It seems full of vintage stuff from glory days.
>>>
>>> http://www.freebsd.org/marketing/os-comparison.html
>> I think this one would better look like list of major features with os
>> comparison, like:
>>
>> = Networking =
>>    * IPv6: major support, best stack around.
>>    * SCTP: full kernel implementation, still no userland support (i.e.
>> ssh doesn't work over sctp by default yet).
>>
>> = Data storage =
>>    * ZFS: full support, datasets, compression, dedup, other stuff. Linux
>> has LVM (?features...) and btrfs (?unstable.. ?features..), Windows has
>> dynamic disks since XP (?features).
>>
>> = SMP =
>>    * (?something about comparing other shedulers with SCHED_ULE), (?some
>> rt stuff), (?some comparison with other interesting shedulers, like
>> DragonflyBSD and QNX).
>>
> And USB. I believe there are significant changes in the USB subsystems which
> those who are making performance benchmarks completely fail to mention.
>
> --HPS

What's about DTrace?

= Development/System Profiling =
  * DTrace: Some notes of the Kernel Gurus what this could mean for
performance profiling and development

= Licensing Model =
  * Some striking comments on the advantage for companies or interested
people of the BSD-like licensing model over the GPLv3 on which Linux is
based now and which has serious implications for those who wants to
develop and sell software developed on/with GNU stuff. it would be very
honest, if we do not only emphasize only the pros. BSD came from the
academic environment, that was where I met it the first time and I
appreciated the way things were developed and 'sloppyness' was a nogo.
So we should keep it up and a serious and honest set of contraru points
for all compared OS should be appreciable.

Does the VM of FreeBSD still have advantges (measurable) over Linux?