periodic weekly catman - perl problem

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Tue Aug 23 03:47:35 UTC 2011

On 08/22/2011 09:41, Andrej Zverev wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 11:59 AM, Doug Barton <dougb at freebsd.org
> <mailto:dougb at freebsd.org>> wrote:
>
>     I have the catman option enabled for periodic/weekly and get the
>     following errors:
>
>     Reformatting manual pages:
>     catman: /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.12.4/man/cat3: mkdir: Permission denied
>     catman: /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.12.4/perl/man/cat3: mkdir: Permission
>     denied
>

>     It seems that the cat3 directories are not created because the man
>     directories are owned by root, and the cat* directories are owned by
>     man, which is what the 330.catman script operates as.
>
>     Creating those directories with the proper permissions allows the catman
>     periodic script to do its thing. So my question is, is this something
>     that the catman periodic script should be doing, or should the perl port
>     be doing it?
>
> Hello, Doug. I couldn't find which way is correct in this situation but
> I can propose the following patch:
> http://sunner.semmy.ru/~az/perl-man.txt if this solve issue when you can
> knock-knock at skv's (perl maintainer) door.

Thanks for looking at this, but you're solving the wrong problem. :)
It's the cat* directories that need to be owned by man.

Having thought about this more, I think it's the 330.catman script that
needs to ensure that these directories exist, likely with 'install -d'.
I'll try to get to it, but if someone else is quicker ...

Doug

			-- OK Go