Andriy Gapon avg at FreeBSD.org
Tue Aug 16 16:26:16 UTC 2011

The following are pure speculations, I'd rather let David speak, but just in case;

on 16/08/2011 18:45 John Baldwin said the following:
> Well, that would seem odd, still.  It only returns BUS_PROBE_GENERIC (not 0), so
> David's driver's probe routine should still be called to get a chance to attach to
> the device.

Maybe it doesn't do that exactly because device and vendor ID are zeroes as David
described earlier.

> Also, the ATA driver only allocates its BAR once, so it shouldn't
> trigger the panic in question in that case (the panic is only triggered when you
> try to double-allocate a BAR).

This makes only if the BAR has sane values.  Not sure what happens if the BAR has
some junk that duplicates other PCI device, or something like that.

--
Andriy Gapon