Removal of ICC (intel compiler) bits from mk

Dimitry Andric dim at FreeBSD.org
Tue Apr 19 17:51:51 UTC 2011

On 2011-04-19 13:21, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>>> You probably also want to remove the code that uses  __INTEL_COMPILER
>>> in source tree if you want to be really thorough.
>>
>> Ok, new patch attached.  Some of the contributed sources also contain
>> instances of __INTEL_COMPILER, but these are all from upstream, so I
>> left them in.
>
> Is it really necessary to remove them from cdefs.h? If someone takes
> parts of our source and wants to compile them on linux or windows with
> icc, the icc parts in cdefs.h are a valuable part to have.

Isn't that the case for the other headers too?  Except the in_cksum.[ch]
files, where the 'fix' for ICC is apparently not needed at all anymore.

> Info: AFAIR I didn't add icc stuff to csup, and AFAIR csup was added
> when our icc in the ports collection was outdated, so I assume someone
> tested csup with icc on linux and addid this stuff there. Removing it
> from csup seems to be a step backwards to me in this case.

It used to be in contrib, but was moved to the base system recently.
If csup is also ported to e.g. Linux, then it won't make much sense to
remove the ICC ifdefs.

> Regarding the build infrastructure part I just skimmed over it, and
> the math/std* headers and 1s-complement-checksum part looks ok to me.

For now, I will just commit the Makefile/*.mk part, and leave most
headers as they are.