NFS lockups with VMware esxi client

David Ehrmann ehrmann at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 01:21:26 UTC 2010

I have NFS sharing a ZFS pool that VMware esxi stores files on.  When
put under stress (an OS installation, but not Linux compilation), the
NFS server locks, spiking to 100% CPU usage.  Not even kill -KILL can
stop the process, so rebooting is required.

  PID USERNAME    THR PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE   C   TIME   WCPU COMMAND
  885 root          4  44    0  5804K   988K CPU2    0 239:39 100.00% nfsd

Other people have run into this problem, but I never found a solution.
I'm running 8.1-PRERELEASE on amd64, but I think others have seen the
problem on 8.1-RELEASE.

zpool status reports that the pool is healthy, so that's not it.  My
only two ideas are hosting on something other than ZFS and trying to
reproduce it with a lot of big, random NFS requests.  Any other ideas?