Fixing and importing the fusefs kernel module - any VFS-savvy takers?

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Thu Oct 28 13:05:59 UTC 2010

On 10/28/10 14:35, Vincent Hoffman wrote:
> On 28/10/2010 12:49, Ivan Voras wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
> <snip much>
>> Basically, this is a call for help in working on fusefs. There are
>> several developers and users willing to do testing and such but no
>> available developers with their hands in the guts of VFS to squash the
>> buried bugs. Fusefs might be especially relevant to desktop users and
>> as such to PC-BSD developers, so I'm cc-ing Kris in case he has a
>> comment.
>>
>> Is anyone interested?
>>

> Would it not make more sense to take the work done here:
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/SOC2009TatsianaSeveryna
> forward?  (not volunteering, just wondering what with the licensing and
> all.)

Hello,

No, the puffs port is in about the same state as fusefs, and fusefs has
these benefits over it:

 * More file systems are developed for fuse (an incomplete list is here:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/fuse/index.php?title=FileSystems)

 * It's more popular both among the users and 3d party software
developers (like Gnome)

 * It's better performing, at least in theory, because puffs was not
originally written for a multi-threaded kernel (lots of serialization)

Licensing isn't a problem since the fuse kernel module is developed from
scratch under the BSDL.