c 213323 breaks Sony Vaio P11Z w/o acpi

volker at vwsoft.com volker at vwsoft.com
Mon Oct 25 11:24:15 UTC 2010

On 10/25/10 13:03, Andriy Gapon wrote:
> on 25/10/2010 13:35 volker at vwsoft.com said the following:
>> Dear Andriy,
>>
>> sorry for the delay.
>>
>> On 10/22/10 11:29, Andriy Gapon wrote:
>>> thanks a lot!
>>> Perhaps, meanwhile you can provide a verbose boot dmesg?
>>
>> Sure! Please find it at
>> http://people.freebsd.org/~vwe/misc/Vaio_p11z/dmesg-verbose.txt
>
> Hmm, it looks like you have ACPI and APIC disabled... either in kernel config or
> in BIOS?
> If yes, can you try to not do it?

Andriy,

the Vaio P11Z does not boot at all with ACPI enabled so it's disabled in
loader.conf. The panic messages are various if I try.

But I haven't disabled APIC anywhere. The kernel configuration is simply
a GENERIC (included) with some different options set. I've uploaded the
kernel config for you at http://people.freebsd.org/~vwe/misc/Vaio_p11z/JUNO

I may try, of course, to compile a plain vanilla GENERIC kernel but
AFAIR INVARIANTS and WITNESS caused more trouble with this device so I
disabled them.

For the ACPI problem, I always wanted to write to acpi@ for quite some
months. I'm sometimes getting a CPU panic message, but if not, I'm
seeing a panic while the keyboard interrupt is being served (that makes
debugging impossible as you can't use the debugger if the keyboard
doesn't work).

To me, it appears Sony is trying hard to cause us trouble. BIOS is the
latest.

Thanks

Volker