DTrace bindings are missing in FreeBSD 9.0 - CURRENT for userland apps

István leccine at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 09:53:21 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 10:33 AM, Rui Paulo <rpaulo at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 19 Oct 2010, at 10:15, István wrote:
>
> > wow, you go the point after couple of emails. better later than never,
> huh :)
>
> You sure are an amusing guy. Rude, but amusing :-)

thanks!

> > you think adding pgsql to wheel might help? cc freebsd-security@ and see
> their opinion about the topic.
>
> dof needs to inject the probes in /dev/dtrace/helper, so the user needs rw
> access to the /dev/dtrace/helper. I specifically added write access to the
> wheel group for this.

and you think the only way to do that is to add pgsql to wheel group?!?

http://images.memegenerator.net/Troll-Face/ImageMacro/2337177/LOL-U-MAD-BRO.jpg

> > i modified the permission of /dev/dtrace/helper instead but it gives the
> following error still:
> >
> > dtrace DOF postgres: DTrace ioctl failed for DOF at 0x801c35000: Invalid
> argument
>
> This error usually means that there were no probes found in dof section of
> the binary. Somehow they were not inserted correctly during the build stage.

you see, we are slowly getting there :)

> > do you mean /usr/ports/databases/postgresql90-server?
>
> Yes.
>

> > I was rebuilding it with that switch, what now?
>
> Send me the build log, gzipped.

yes sir yes!

(and you are talking about ppl being rude)

what file do you need and which directory ___excatly___

btw. it would be beneficial for you as the DTrace maintainer of FreeBSD to
have your own environment and prove me that I am wrong since you are happily
tracing on your own box, it is just the lame user who is not able to do that
:)

your own words:

"Tracing and instrumenting userland programs is very important because it
allows the understanding of what's going on, especially on highly complex
systems such as databases, web servers, and language interpreters. Since
DTrace on FreeBSD now has the ability to instrument both the kernel and the
userland program, you can get very meaningful data on how your program is
behaving and why."

So instead of fixing my problem on my box, fix it for everybody and update
the wiki with the process if you have a chance. As of now, I consider
FreeBSD as a non-supported platform for DTrace since I spent almost 2 days
to get it working without success and it is definitely less effort to spin
up a (Open)Solaris instance to debug performance issue. Let me know if you
get it working in the future.

thank you in advance.

--
the sun shines for all