geom_sched usage

David Naylor naylor.b.david at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 07:43:48 UTC 2010

Hi,

I've used geom_sched to some success.  Normally I do not notice anything but
today I was copying big files over a gigabit ethernet and my laptop was not
very responsive.  I loaded gsched and the responsiveness improved (although
still rather bad for anything requiring something from the HDD).

Thank you for all this work :-)

Some questions I have:

 - with a gmirror should the gsched be attached to the underlying devices (aka
/dev/ad?) or to the mirror device (aka /dev/mirror/?)?

 - is there anyway to automatically attach gsched to a device on startup (i.e.
in rc.conf)?

 - is there a way to prioritise random IO (vs sequential reads from big
files)?

 - gsched_as does not appear to be installed.

Regards,

David