Is nvidia-driver 256.53 expected to work on -current?

Mattia Rossi mrossi at swin.edu.au
Mon Oct 18 00:06:14 UTC 2010

On 18/10/2010 10:18, Ralph Ellis wrote:
> Doug Barton wrote:
>> Y'all will probably recall that I had a lot of problems with the
>> nvidia-driver, and video generally (esp. flash) on i386 -current. Well
>> I haven't had any problems recently because I haven't been using
>> FreeBSD. :) But I have things I need to catch up on, so here's what I
>> did:
>>
>> 1. Bought a new hard drive, and installed a snapshot of amd64 -current
>> (this was actually done a while ago).
>> 2. Yesterday I started configuring stuff, updated my source and ports
>> trees, rebuilt the world, customized the kernel, etc.
>> 3. With a newly up to date system I built the latest version of the
>> nvidia-driver port, and started using it.
>>
>> My experience with it has been exactly the same as older versions of
>> the port on previous versions of i386 -current. Sometimes it runs fine
>> for a while, but whe n I exit the window manager (openbox) the system
>> hangs and I never get back to the command prompt. (I'm using startx to
>> try and minimize the number of variables.) Sometimes it will work fine
>> for an hour, maybe two, then the whole thing just hangs. All the stuff
>> is displayed on the screen, but the mouse won't move, I can't zap X,
>> or even switch to the console. I have to power off. This is
>> particularly frustrating because I haven't even loaded flash (or for
>> that matter firefox) yet.
>>
>> Windows and linux (ubuntu, with the nvidia driver) work great on this
>> same hardware, so I'm pretty thoroughly convinced that the problem is
>> with freebsd/current somewhere. In addition to the -current partition
>> I also installed amd64 8.1-RELEASE so I'll give that a go next, but I
>> wanted to ask here first if anyone else was having problems on -current.
>>

>> Doug
>>
> I am currently running the Nvidia 195 driver on amd64 9 - current from
> the ports tree. It works without problems.
> When I tried to compile the 256 driver, it would not compile and said
> that it was not meant to work with 9 - current.
> Hope this helps.
> Ralph Ellis
> ralphellis1 at netscape.ca

I have not had any trouble with the new Nvidia drivers at all - but I'm
running i386, so it might be an amd64 issue.
No compilation issues at all, no problems running, switching to VT etc.

(and yes, I had the same problems as Doug a while ago)

Kernel and world are not from today, but fairly recent though:
FreeBSD 9.0-CURRENT #48 r213491M: Thu Oct  7

See:

(--) PCI:*(0:1:0:0) 10de:06e4:1458:349c nVidia Corporation G98 [GeForce
8400 GS] rev 161, Mem @ 0xf2000000/16777216, 0xe0000000/268435456,
0xf0000000/33554432, I/O @ 0x00002100/128, BIOS @ 0x????????/65536
(II) "extmod" will be loaded by default.
(II) "dbe" will be loaded by default.
(II) "glx" will be loaded. This was enabled by default and also
specified in the config file.
(II) "record" will be loaded by default.
(II) "dri" will be loaded by default.
(II) "dri2" will be loaded by default.
(II) LoadModule: "glx"
(II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so
(II) Module glx: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
         Module class: X.Org Server Extension
(II) NVIDIA GLX Module  256.53  Fri Aug 27 20:49:59 PDT 2010
(II) Loading extension GLX
(II) LoadModule: "extmod"
(II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libextmod.so
(II) Module extmod: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
         Module class: X.Org Server Extension
         ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 2.0
(II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
(II) Loading extension XFree86-VidModeExtension
(II) Loading extension XFree86-DGA
(II) Loading extension DPMS
(II) Loading extension XVideo
(II) Loading extension XVideo-MotionCompensation
(II) Loading extension X-Resource
(II) LoadModule: "dbe"
(II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libdbe.so
(II) Module dbe: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
         Module class: X.Org Server Extension
         ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 2.0
(II) Loading extension DOUBLE-BUFFER
(II) LoadModule: "record"
(II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/librecord.so
(II) Module record: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
         Module class: X.Org Server Extension
         ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 2.0
(II) Loading extension RECORD
(II) LoadModule: "dri"
(II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libdri.so
(II) Module dri: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
         ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 2.0
(II) Loading extension XFree86-DRI
(II) LoadModule: "dri2"
(II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libdri2.so
(II) Module dri2: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
         ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 2.0
(II) Loading extension DRI2
(II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
(II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so
(II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
         Module class: X.Org Video Driver
(II) NVIDIA dlloader X Driver  256.53  Fri Aug 27 20:29:54 PDT 2010
(II) NVIDIA Unified Driver for all Supported NVIDIA GPUs
(II) Primary Device is: PCI 01 at 00:00:0

Mat