kldunload(8) returns 0, although it fail

Alexander Best arundel at freebsd.org
Wed Nov 17 17:11:54 UTC 2010

On Wed Nov 17 10, John Baldwin wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 16, 2010 10:20:12 pm Alexander Best wrote:

> > > Try doing 'kldload netgraph.ko' and then 'kldload ng_ubt.ko' (along with manually
> > > dependency) and see what behavior that gives you.

i did some more research regarding this matter:

1) DEPENDENCIES:

netgraph => X (none)
ng_ubt => ng_hci
ng_hci => ng_bluetooth
ng_buetooth => X (none; [no not even netgraph])

2) VARIOUS results:

**
kldload netgraph => REF_COUNT_NETGRAPH = 1
kldunload netgraph => EBUSY, REF_COUNT_NETGRAPH = 1
**

**
kldload netgraph => REF_COUNT_NETGRAPH = 1
kldload ng_bluetooth => REF_COUNT_NETGRAPH = 1
kldunload netgraph => EBUSY, REF_COUNT_NETGRAPH = 1
(obvious, since ng_bluetooth doesn't depend on netgraph)
**

**
kldload netgraph => REF_COUNT_NETGRAPH = 1
kldload ng_bluetooth => REF_COUNT_NETGRAPH = 1
kldload ng_hci => REF_COUNT_NETGRAPH = 2
kldunload netgraph => OK, REF_COUNT_NETGRAPH = 1
kldunload netgraph => EBUSY, REF_COUNT_NETGRAPH = 1 [1]
**

**
kldload netgraph => REF_COUNT_NETGRAPH = 1
kldload ng_bluetooth => REF_COUNT_NETGRAPH = 1
kldload ng_hci => REF_COUNT_NETGRAPH = 2
kldload ng_ubt => REF_COUNT_NETGRAPH = 3
kldunload netgraph => OK, REF_COUNT_NETGRAPH = 2
kldunload netgraph => EBUSY, REF_COUNT_NETGRAPH = 2 [1]
**

**
kldload netgraph => REF_COUNT_NETGRAPH = 1
kldload ng_bluetooth => REF_COUNT_NETGRAPH = 1
kldload ng_hci => REF_COUNT_NETGRAPH = 2
kldunload netgraph => OK, REF_COUNT_NETGRAPH = 1
kldunload netgraph => EBUSY, REF_COUNT_NETGRAPH = 1 [1]
kldload ng_ubt => REF_COUNT_NETGRAPH = 2
kldunload netgraph => EBUSY, REF_COUNT_NETGRAPH = 2 [1]
**

**
kldload netgraph => REF_COUNT_NETGRAPH = 1
kldload ng_bluetooth => REF_COUNT_NETGRAPH = 1
kldload ng_hci => REF_COUNT_NETGRAPH = 2
kldunload netgraph => OK, REF_COUNT_NETGRAPH = 1
kldload ng_ubt => REF_COUNT_NETGRAPH = 2
kldunload netgraph => EBUSY, REF_COUNT_NETGRAPH = 2 [1]
**

[1] before EBUSY gets returned i see a notice that netgraph.ko cannot be
    unloaded, since it was loaded by the kernel. this doesn't happen in the
    last two cases.

> > sorry it took me a while to check this out. i did some more research and it
> > seems a few things are broken:
> >
> > 1) i have snd_hda in my loader.conf which will load sound as a dependency.
> > unloading snd_hda should then automatically unload sound, which it *doesn't*.
> > i need to unload sound manually.
>
> I clearly said earlier that this is what happens.  It's the paragraph below
> where I said that the kernel has no idea when it discovers the modules that
> the loader loaded which ones were explicit and which ones were implicit.  It
> treats them all as explicit.

i'm really sorry. i completely forgot about that fact. so to make this easy for
me to finally comprehend:

if a module is loaded via loader.conf *no* implicit dependencies are present
and unloading a module from a chain that got triggered by loader.conf will
*never* unload anything except that one module i specified!

--
a13x