[Call for Tests] PAT issue on Apple hardware

Jung-uk Kim jkim at FreeBSD.org
Tue Nov 16 20:30:29 UTC 2010

On Monday 15 November 2010 08:36 pm, Jung-uk Kim wrote:
> Often times I hear complaints like "my Mac hangs after upgrading to
> 8.1" or "snapshot CD hangs on my brand new Mac".  I know some of
> these complaints started happening when we switched to new PAT
> layout.  It is so puzzling because it never happened on non-Apple
> hardware, AFAIK.  I really like to fix this problem but I cannot
> afford a Mac. :-P
>
> If you are one of those lucky people, please test the attached
> patch and report your hardware model and any improvement or
> regression.
>
> Also, I added a new tunable "vm.pmap.pat_works" so that you can
> turn it off from loader (i.e., "set vm.pmap.pat_works=0") and
> restore old behaviour without recompiling a new kernel.

I revised this patch to make it more robust.

http://people.freebsd.org/~jkim/pat-current.diff

Also, I prepared a patch for stable/8.  If you have recent Apple
hardware and it hangs with 8.1 or stable/8, please test this patch.

http://people.freebsd.org/~jkim/pat-stable.diff

Thanks!

Jung-uk Kim