Error 1: gpart create -s GPT ad0

Garrett Cooper gcooper at FreeBSD.org
Sat Nov 13 04:02:10 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 7:09 PM, Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 08:47:00PM +0200, Ivan Klymenko wrote:
>> Hello! People.
>>
>> I use the alternate installer pc-sysinstall based on FreeBSD
>> 9.0-CURRENT r215176
>> When you load the virtual machine qemu disk ad0 is determined by:
>> http://img573.imageshack.us/i/qemu1.png/
>> but when trying to create a section displays the following error:
>> http://img80.imageshack.us/i/qemu.png/
>> Think all options for gpart are correct - what can there be a problem?
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> The gpart syntax looks correct, and ad0 is being used elsewhere in your install process successfully. Is this a fresh disk / image? Perhaps something has broken in the gpart command?

    According to the gpart(8) manpage, the invocation is correct. It'd
be interesting to see what the log displayed yields, but before then
have you tried kern.geom.debugflags=16? I did a quick scan of
lib/libgeom and sys/geom, and all of the places (minus one) that
returned EINVAL were due to incorrect sector size. What are you using
for your disk?

Thanks,
-Garrett