FW: build failures after stdlib update

Pegasus Mc Cleaft ken at mthelicon.com
Tue Mar 23 10:00:21 UTC 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: Pegasus Mc Cleaft [mailto:ken at mthelicon.com]
Sent: 23 March 2010 09:57
To: 'Alexander Best'
Subject: RE: build failures after stdlib update

-----Original Message-----
>2. i wasn't able to reproduce your `make -V MACHINE_CPU -DCPUTYPE=native`
>examples. for me `make` prints the same no matter what CPUTYPE is set to:
>
>otaku% make -V MACHINE_CPU -DCPUTYPE=native
>amd64 sse2 sse
>otaku% make -V MACHINE_CPU -DCPUTYPE=nocona
>amd64 sse2 sse
>otaku% make -V MACHINE_CPU -DCPUTYPE=i386
>amd64 sse2 sse
>otaku% make -V MACHINE_CPU -DCPUTYPE=lalalala
>amd64 sse2 sse
>
>..oh and of course i ran these commands with no CPUTYPE set in make.conf.
;)

This is interesting.  I tried the same thing on my computer (AMD64 - Core2
Quad) and I get the following

(Without CPUTYPE?=native in /etc/make)
feathers$ make -V MACHINE_CPU -DCPUTYPE=native
amd64 sse2 sse

(With CPUTYPE?=native)
feathers$ make -V MACHINE_CPU -DCPUTYPE=native
unknown amd64 sse2 sse mmx

(For both)
feathers$ gcc -v -x c -E -mtune=native /dev/null -o /dev/null 2>&1 | grep
mtune
 /usr/libexec/cc1 -E -quiet -v -D_LONGLONG /dev/null -o /dev/null
-mtune=generic

Peg