recovery from terminated make installworld?

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-current-local at be-well.ilk.org
Thu Mar 18 20:56:46 UTC 2010

Freddie Cash <fjwcash at gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 1:07 PM, Justin Hibbits <jrh29 at alumni.cwru.edu>wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 4:03 PM, Anton Shterenlikht <mexas at bristol.ac.uk
>> >wrote:
>>
>> > I was in the single user mode doing 'make installworld'
>> > when the system froze and I had to cold reboot.
>> > Now in single user mode I get to:
>> >
>> > Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:
>> > /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /lib/libc.so.7: invalid file format
>> > /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /lib/libc.so.7: invalid file format
>> > Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:
>> >
>> > Is there a way to recover?
>> > Or do I have to reinstall from scratch?
>>
>> Try /rescue/sh (or tcsh).  It's all statically linked, so you should be
>> able
>> to recover from there.
>>
>> And if that doesn't work, try a LiveFS CD.
>
> And, if all else fails, you can do a minimal install overtop.  You'll lose
> all your /etc settings, but will get a bootable system again.

A lot of the time, an "upgrade" binary install will do the job, with
less risk to your /etc directory.

I had a problem like this not that long ago, thanks to the new kernel
crashing (but not until I'd had time to start the installworld).
Going back to the old kernel and copying in the libraries that didn't
work was enough to get me up enough to retry the upgrade with a GENERIC
kernel.

I don't generally recommend running -current to anybody unless they have
some comfort with recovering from these kinds of problems...