A tool for remapping bad sectors in CURRENT?

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Thu Mar 18 12:18:06 UTC 2010

Pieter de Goeje <pieter at degoeje.nl> writes:
> Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des at des.no> writes:
> > And if you're comfortable *writing* kernel code, I would suggest
> > implementing WORF in geom_mirror :)
> I am intrigued, what is this WORF you speak of?

Write On Read Failure.  It means that if you can't read a sector but you
have (or can recreate) a copy of the data that's supposed to be on it,
you rewrite that data to force the disk to reallocate the sector.  I've
done this manually several times (dd'ed a sector from the other disk in
a mirror).  I believe I even posted the procedure at some point; I'll
check my archive.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no