build failures after stdlib update

Pegasus Mc Cleaft ken at mthelicon.com
Wed Mar 17 16:54:21 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 17 March 2010 02:22:48 Alexander Best wrote:
> so is there no way to fix this? this is what i've tried and still the
>  problem exists:

Alex,

	I finally got my machine all back up and running. I'll tell you what I
did and maybe it might help your situation. The only difference I see between
us is that I was getting Sig10's to your Sig11's..  I dont know if this is
significant or if the two are kind of the same thing "Something horrible
happened during memory access".  But after I had installed the kernel and
world with the strlen bug in it, the machine wouldn't boot as zfsloader was
dieing at boot-time right after the bios disk scan. I was able to bring the
machine up from a USB drive I had made previously (for just such an occasion
:> ).  Once I had a machine that I could work with, I mounted the zfs filing
systems as an altroot. I replaced the zfsloader with the zfsloader.old and the
loader with loader.old.

	At this point I was able to boot the machine and try to bring it on-line.
Unfortunately many of the daemons were dieing with sig10's and X/KDE would do
nothing. I found that the shared library /lib/libc.so.7 was the culprit and I
replaced this lib with a backup copy that I had from a friends machine that
was built 3 days prior.

	Everything worked fine on the machine, but I was not able to build the
world or kernel.

	What I did was create a virtual machine using VBox for Current-9 AMD64,
svn the latest sources and build on this with the same kernconf file that I
used on the host machine.

	After the build was completed, I copied /usr/lib/[libc.a, libc.so,
libc_p.a] from the vbox machine to the host. It looked like these contained
the bug and when the build was making some of its tools, it was using these
libs (and then dieing).

	It was now that I am able to compile the latest world and kernel.

I hope this helps,
Peg