HEADS UP: COMPAT_IA32 renamed COMPAT_FREEBSD32

Garance A Drosehn gad at FreeBSD.org
Mon Mar 15 17:02:27 UTC 2010

At 12:59 PM -0600 3/12/10, Mark Linimon wrote:
>On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 09:22:55AM -0800, David O'Brien wrote:
>  > Yes it is.  Where was it discussed first?  I do not see anything
>  > in my freebsd-arch or freebsd-current archive; or any other
>  > FreeBSD list.
>
>http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?4B971CA3.9090301
>
>crossposted on amd64@, ia64@, emulation at .

While those are logical mailing lists for this topic to have come
up on, it shouldn't be much of a surprise that there are many
freebsd users and committers who are not on those lists.  Many
people who do know about the existing COMPAT_FREEBSD* variables,
and thus will be surprised at this variable name.

My understanding is that there has already been a lot of furor
over this name, so let me first say I don't mean to infuriate
anyone.  However, my own vote would be for some other name than
COMPAT_FREEBSD32.

Garance Alistair Drosehn     =               drosehn at rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer               or   gad at FreeBSD.org