X11 crash on exit

Tim Kientzle kientzle at freebsd.org
Sun Mar 14 21:44:25 UTC 2010

Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On 2010-Mar-14 00:04:21 -0800, Tim Kientzle <kientzle at freebsd.org> wrote:
>> Okay, I've updated a bunch of ports and am still seeing the
>> crash.  I rebuilt the server with debug symbols and finally
>> got something informative; here's the relevant portion of
>> the backtrace (frame #10 is the signal 11 delivery).
>>
>> #11 0x0819e363 in DeliverPropertyEvent (pWin=0x5a5a5a5a,
>> value=0xbfbfec0c) at rrproperty.c:34
>> #12 0x0807015d in TraverseTree (pWin=0x28775f80, func=0x819e340
>> <DeliverPropertyEvent>, data=0xbfbfec0c) at window.c:234
>> #18 0x0806f4e3 in FreeAllResources () at resource.c:824
>> #19 0x0806bbf0 in main (argc=4, argv=0xbfbfed68, envp=0xbfbfed7c) at
>> main.c:411
>
> This looks identical to the problem I reported as ports/131930.
> Whilst my patch wasn't applied, ISTR a similar patch got applied
> upstream to fix the issue.

I've run through portsnap/portupgrade a few times, so my
server should be up-to-date and I still see the crash.
I suspect the upstream patch you're referring to would
be the memset(WindowTable, 0, sizeof()) that appears a
few lines after the call that triggers the crash.

> Other than that, I can confirm that you _can_ run X on an AA1,
> at least on 8.x (that's what I'm currently using).

What window manager are you using?  Right now, I'm
using TWM but suspect there's something a bit better
suited to this small screen.  (Ideally, something that
adapts well to either the built-in screen or the
external 20" monitor I often use.)

> Are you using hal/dbus?

Yes.

I implemented the fix I suggested earlier (scanning
the WindowTable to remove Window objects as they're
deleted) and it does consistently resolve the crash,
but now the X server restarts itself when xinit asks
it to exit, so there's clearly still something amiss.

Patch attached for anyone interested.

Tim