Amanda, FreeBSD8, amtype, hairpulling, etc.

Svein Skogen (Listmail Account) svein-listmail at stillbilde.net
Sat Mar 13 15:57:35 UTC 2010

On 12.03.2010 15:20, Svein Skogen wrote:
> I'm having trouble getting Amanda (2.6.1p2 from ports) to play nicely
> with my hardware.
>
> Devices are:
> <HP Ultrium 3-SCSI Q25W>           at scbus0 target 1 lun 0 (sa0,pass0)
> <HP 1x8 G2 AUTOLDR 2.80>           at scbus0 target 1 lun 1 (pass1,ch0)
> connected via:
> mpt0: <LSILogic SAS/SATA Adapter> port 0x9000-0x90ff mem
> 0xfe4fc000-0xfe4fffff,0xfe4e0000-0xfe4effff irq 16 at device 0.0 on pci2
> mpt0: [ITHREAD]
> mpt0: MPI Version=1.5.20.0
>
> os and number in question is:
> FreeBSD storage.stillbilde.net 8.0-STABLE FreeBSD 8.0-STABLE #0: Tue Mar
>  9 07:01:59 UTC 2010
> svein at storage.stillbilde.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
>
> Tapes are regular LTO-3 (HP C7973A).
>
> amtapetype simply hangs (after writing 3-4 tps for 5 seconds, then
> simple silence both on sa0 and console)
>
> Has anybody run into this problem with FreeBSD8+mpt+autoloader?
>
> //Svein

I'm finally starting to make sense of what I'm seeing (hence the
crossposting)

Seems I've stumbled onto some strange incompatibility between my SAS
controller (LSI 3801E), Tape-library, and FreeBSD+Solaris.

The behavior I'm seeing is consistent with this solaris bug:

http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6894775

but luckily (?) for me, my disks are on an MFI controller. I'm seeing
the exact same behavior in both FreeBSD and OpenSolaris 133 and 134.

Linux and Windows installs on the box (this box is currently being set
up, so I'm rather liberated from reinstall-concerns) seems unaffected,
atleast the HP Software doesn't fail the way
tar/dump/dd/amanda/bacula/whatnot does at random intervals.

The errors only occur when the device I'm reading/writing from is 100%
laoded (reading or writing 56mb/sec + compression), which when fed from
a raid capable of more than 6 times that is quite likely to happen
during backups.

The Solaris bug seems to be around MSI handling, but there are several
reports "over there" about this error occuring even with MSI disabled.

Right now I'm dumbstruck about this, and might install Linux "just to
get backups up and running this year", because I'm too tired of this
entire process, but I'd REALLY rather run FreeBSD or OpenSolaris. This
is based on a personal preference and nothing else, but if anybody has
some blinding insights on how to get this working, I'm open for suggestions.

//Svein

- --
- --------+-------------------+-------------------------------
  /"\   |Svein Skogen       | svein at d80.iso100.no
  \ /   |Solberg Østli 9    | PGP Key:  0xE5E76831
   X    |2020 Skedsmokorset | svein at jernhuset.no
  / \   |Norway             | PGP Key:  0xCE96CE13
        |                   | svein at stillbilde.net
 ascii  |                   | PGP Key:  0x58CD33B6
 ribbon |System Admin       | svein-listmail at stillbilde.net
Campaign|stillbilde.net     | PGP Key:  0x22D494A4
        |msn messenger:     | Mobile Phone: +47 907 03 575
        |svein at jernhuset.no | RIPE handle:    SS16503-RIPE
         If you really are in a hurry, mail me at
               svein-mobile at stillbilde.net
 This mailbox goes directly to my cellphone and is checked
        even when I'm not in front of my computer.
                     Picture Gallery:
          https://gallery.stillbilde.net/v/svein/