dev.bce.X.com_no_buffers increasing and packet loss

Ian FREISLICH ianf at clue.co.za
Wed Mar 10 05:48:36 UTC 2010

Pyun YongHyeon wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 11:55:30PM +0200, Ian FREISLICH wrote:
> > I set the RX as high as 512 in 64 quanta but it made little difference
> > to the interrupt rate.  At times where we experience the packet
> > loss and com_no_buffers increases, the interrupt rate on between 1
> > and 3 of the 4 bce interfaces fell from about 3200/s to 130/s.
> >

> BD chain is just one of parameters. bce(4) controllers also provide
> more advanced features that fine control interrupt moderation(TX/RX
> ticks). It's hard to explain all the details so you may want to
> read public data sheet of bce(4).

Thanks.  I'll have a read over that.

I meant to state that above that whenever the interrupt rate on a
controller (or several) falls off, the interrupt CPU usage climbs
from about 4% to about 20%.  So it seems like something is happening
on host that jams up interrupt processing.

Ian

--
Ian Freislich