Core i5 AES acceleration

James R. Van Artsdalen james-freebsd-current at jrv.org
Tue Mar 9 00:10:58 UTC 2010

Norikatsu Shigemura wrote:
> According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AES-NI , we can get
> 	specification document: http://software.intel.com/file/20457 .
>
> 	I saw it, and consider that we can release under BSDL.  Because
> 	of 'from specification'.

That document is short on details, such as the opcodes and machine
implementation details (flags, etc).

The XMM registers are used.  That may be a problem for kernel code.

When last I looked openssl did not use /dev/crypt - it's not clear how
big the benefit would be from doing this if nothing that uses openssl wins.

It might be more beneficial to FreeBSD to patch openssl to use
/dev/crypt.  If it turns out to not be a significant win then that might
hint that the AES opcodes won't be significant win in general either.