propose: all arch move into a separate dir

Garrett Wollman wollman at hergotha.csail.mit.edu
Mon Mar 8 03:29:31 UTC 2010

In article <20100307.144736.420173476735197890.imp at bsdimp.com>, Warner
Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> writes:

>We don't have quite as many problems as the NetBSD/OpenBSD crowd in
>this respect.  They tend to define a new MACHIINE more often then we
>have (or will).  The need for sys/arch is less severe here than there
>because we don't have 40 different MACHINEs.

Even if we did, I cannot think of any compelling reason to make such a
change (and I don't recall one ever being brought up in our entire
history).  If we had forty architecture directories in /sys, so what?
Why should it matter to anyone?

If we were talking about 100 architectures, I might feel differently,
but in this universe, we have, what? eight?  And there are how many
architectures currently in mass production?  This whole discussion is
ridiculous.

-GAWollman