propose: all arch move into a separate dir

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sun Mar 7 21:51:04 UTC 2010

In message: <20100307054423.GE70613 at dragon.NUXI.org>
            "David O'Brien" <obrien at freebsd.org> writes:
: On Fri, Mar 05, 2010 at 09:41:40AM +0000, Robert Watson wrote:
: > On Fri, 5 Mar 2010, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
: >> In message <alpine.BSF.2.00.1003050912340.5181 at fledge.watson.org>, Robert
: >> Watso n writes:
: >>> Doing that kind of rearrangement [...] would be a nightmare for anyone
: >>> with large [...] patches, so I'd say we could pretty much rule that out
: >>> outright.
: >>
: >> I would say that we should do it occasionally, to encourage these FreeBSD
: >> users to contribute as many of their local changes back to the project, as
: >> possible :-)
: >
: > Absolutely -- and rearranging a tree is a good way to invalidate all those
: > patches as well :-).
:
: No, not it isn't.  Provide a script to convert path's in the diff.
: This is what $LARGE_FREEBSD_USER did when it rearranged it source tree.

You are joking, right?  This would be a nightmare for people that
integrate early and often.

Warner