propose: all arch move into a separate dir

David O'Brien obrien at FreeBSD.org
Sun Mar 7 05:44:25 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 05, 2010 at 09:41:40AM +0000, Robert Watson wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Mar 2010, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>> In message <alpine.BSF.2.00.1003050912340.5181 at fledge.watson.org>, Robert
>> Watso n writes:
>>> Doing that kind of rearrangement [...] would be a nightmare for anyone
>>> with large [...] patches, so I'd say we could pretty much rule that out
>>> outright.
>>
>> I would say that we should do it occasionally, to encourage these FreeBSD
>> users to contribute as many of their local changes back to the project, as
>> possible :-)
>
> Absolutely -- and rearranging a tree is a good way to invalidate all those
> patches as well :-).

No, not it isn't.  Provide a script to convert path's in the diff.
This is what $LARGE_FREEBSD_USER did when it rearranged it source tree.

It was done by creating a copy of the CVS repo and moved files around.
Old releases stayed in the old repo, and new releases done from the new
repo.  'diff | fixpatch | patch -p0' were used to move code between
sandboxes.

--
-- David  (obrien at FreeBSD.org)