propose: all arch move into a separate dir

Garrett Cooper yanefbsd at gmail.com
Sat Mar 6 09:22:23 UTC 2010

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 11:13 AM, Mark Linimon <linimon at lonesome.com> wrote:
> There are two chief problems with a large-scale reorg of our src tree:
>
>  - There are many companies who use FreeBSD as part of their business.
>   In the case of ISPs or companies who use FreeBSD as a base of their
>   products, this would make it much harder for them to synchronize
>   their local changes with the master repository as changes occur.
>
>  - We have a large number of existing Problem Reports containing patches
>   against our src tree.  These patches would be in the same situation.
>
> These are the reasons we've avoided doing so in the past, no matter how
> much 'cleaner' things might wind up being.

    I'm going to come off ignorant as well because I don't have the
necessary history in the past attempts to reorganize this -- but would
it make sense to gradually work in the changes over an extended period
of time and encourage better directory structure in the short-term for
new code or would it be too much of a blooming mess to consider.
Probably the latter due to the inherent inconsistency with the rework,
but I figured I should ask.
Thanks!
-Garrett