Problem with new bwn driver on -CURRENT

Weongyo Jeong weongyo.jeong at gmail.com
Sat Mar 6 00:16:54 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 05, 2010 at 04:44:34PM -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> On 3/5/10 3:53 PM, Weongyo Jeong wrote:

> >> Here you go.  This is on -CURRENT from about 30 minutes ago.  Thanks for
> >> looking into this.
> >>
> >> http://www.marcuscom.com/downloads/salami.dmesg
> >
> > Thank you for dmesg.  It looks using PIO mode is only a way to avoid
> > this problem.
> >
> > I looked sources and problems of other Broadcom wireless driver for LP
> > PHY users.  They also encounters this issue and are trying to solve
> > this but no luck and no perfect patch until now.
> >
> > Recently AFAIK wireless-test git of linux adopted a patch `gracefully
> > convert DMA to PIO mode' to solve it.
> >
> > Additionally some guys tolds some success story when they disabled ACPI
> > but it looks it's not a perfect solution.
> >
> > IIRC you said PIO worked for association with your AP but no further
> > traffic.  However I wonder that this is weird for me because paths of
> > sending management frames and sending data frames are same.  Could you
> > please recheck whether PIO mode worked?  I'll try to test PIO mode on my
> > environment again.
>
> I can absolutely confirm PIO mode does NOT work with my card.  I tested
> on a clean power-up.  The card associates, but does not pass any
> traffic.  I do not see the same decryption messages that I do with DMA mode.

OK.  I'd like to see some verbose message from bwn(4) after applying
attached patch with email.  Could you please test with it and show me
dmesg?

I tested 3 broadcom card whose revisions are 5 and 9 and it looks it's
working.

I have one LP PHY device, half MiniPCI-E for laptop, but could not test
with this patch because I could not turn on RF; it's connected with
desktop using converter MiniPCI-E to PCI-E though normally it looks
MiniPCI-E devices are turned on using H/W RF switch.

regards,
Weongyo Jeong