propose: all arch move into a separate dir

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Fri Mar 5 13:23:47 UTC 2010

On Fri, 5 Mar 2010, Alex Keda wrote:

>>> thus, it is not 'Free', this managed by 'consumers like Isilon, NetApp,
>>> Juniper, and many others'?
>>>
>> It might be helpful to think of them as 'customers' who are using our
>> 'product' and paying for it by feeding back patches and employing FreeBSD
>> developers. Normal business practice doesn't include intentionally making
>> your customers' lives difficult - if you make a habit of it they tend to go
>> elsewhere.
>>
> It seems to me, business and freedom - are mutually exclusive things. or you
> can choose the path of development, or who pays - giver commands to
> community. no freedom there.

Cute but no cigar.  FreeBSD must ultimately be responsible to the communities
it serves.  Sometimes those interests are in conflict and we have to come to
some technical or social compromise, but often as not they align.  In this
case, I think they align pretty well.  Whether you're an academic building
research changes into a network stack, a company building a firewall
appliance, or a volunteer developer working on something that particularly
motivates you in the network stack, you all lose if the source tree is
rearranged out from under your feet.

Robert