dev.bce.X.com_no_buffers increasing and packet loss

Ian FREISLICH ianf at clue.co.za
Fri Mar 5 11:21:14 UTC 2010

Hi

I have a system that is experiencing mild to severe packet loss.
The interfaces are configured as follows:

lagg0: bce0, bce1, bce2, bce3  lagproto lacp

lagg0 then is used as the hwdev for the vlan interfaces.

I have pf with a few queues for bandwidth management.

There isn't that much traffic on it (200-500Mbit/s).

I see only the following suspect for packet loss:

dev.bce.0.com_no_buffers: 140151466
dev.bce.1.com_no_buffers: 514723247
dev.bce.2.com_no_buffers: 10454050
dev.bce.3.com_no_buffers: 369371

Most of the time, these numbers are static, but every once in a
while they increase massively by several thousand, but only on 2
interfaces.  The 1 minute average rate on those interfaces is 266/s
and 123/s.

Does anyone think this is related to the packet loss or are these
counters just a red herring?  Is there anything that can be done
to reduce this count?

Ian

--
Ian Freislich