Call for Test and Review: bwn(4) - another Broadcom Wireless driver

Weongyo Jeong weongyo.jeong at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 20:13:13 UTC 2010

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 08:45:32PM +0100, Miki wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the work !
>
> I have some problems here when I try to create a wlan interface :
> bwn_v4_ucode5: could not load firmware image, error 2
> bwn0: the fw file(bwn_v4_ucode5) not found

Did you try to UP the interface withload loading bwn_v4_ucode.ko?  If
yes currently bwn(4) doesn't automatically load firmware module so you
need to do it by hand.

  # kldload bwn_v4_ucode

The patch for this is ready to commit and it'll be happened soon.

> I have installed bwn-firmware-kmod from ports but the only files I have in
> /boot/modules are bwn_v4_lp_ucode.ko and bwn_v4_ucode.ko. So I tried to
> copy bwn_v4_ucode to bwn_v4_ucode5 and it seems to work : wlan0 is
> created, I can associate to an open Access Point and obtain a DHCP lease.
> But if I try to do some network IO (browsing the web) the interface hang
> (I cannot obtain a lease anymore).

I have a exact same device like you have but I didn't encounter this
issue.

Are there any messages from bwn(4) when you the interface becomes hang?
One more question, after the interface hang, does the system be hang
also?

One thing you can do is that trying the device with PIO mode not DMA
mode using the following tunable variable:

  hw.bwn.usedma

Its default value is 1 to enable DMA operation so if you set it 0, PIO
mode would be used and could see the message like below:

  bwn0: PIO

Could you please test with it?

regards,
Weongyo Jeong