Coming back to the btxld: No such file or directory installworld error

Garrett Cooper yanefbsd at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 06:27:49 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 10:54 PM, Ruslan Ermilov <ru at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 01:14:59PM -0700, Garrett Cooper wrote:
>> Hi Ruslan,
>>     I've run into this particular error twice now in the past couple
>> of weeks when building with -j24 on a memory disk and I was wondering
>> if there was an missing dependency / race somewhere or something
>> (perhaps make obj?):
>>
>> ===> sys/boot/i386/boot2 (install)
>> # ...
>> btxld -v -E 0x2000 -f bin -b
>> /usr/obj/scratch/freebsd/current/sys/boot/i386/boot2/../btx/btx/btx -l
>> boot2.ldr  -o boot2.ld -P 1 boot2.bin
>> btxld: No such file or directory
>> *** Error code 1
>
> The "install" target isn't supposed to build stuff, only install it.
> When you see it trying to build something, this can be indicative of:
>
> - build wasn't run (e.g., after an update);

Not the case (I ran buildworld and everything else up to that point
installed happily).

> - a computer's date/time is set to the past (causing wrong date/time
>  to be set on output files => causing them to be considered out-of-
>  date by make(1)); check with date(1).

My computer hasn't been time traveling lately :/ ("If my calculations
are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're
gonna see some serious shit.").

> - source files have modification times pointing to the future which
>  fools make(1) into thinking that it should rebuild some target;
>  check with "find /usr/src -mtime -0".

This seems unlikely as well.

Is there a possibility that the existing Makefiles work by accident
when -j < 24 because the actions aren't executed in order :(?

Thanks,
-Garrett