SUJ testing update [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Wilkinson, Alex alex.wilkinson at dsto.defence.gov.au
Thu Jan 28 03:23:46 UTC 2010

    0n Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 01:38:41PM -1000, Jeff Roberson wrote:

    >I just committed some big changes to suj to svn at
    >svn://svn.freebsd.org/base/projects/suj/head
    >
    >You can now run softdep without journaling again.  The fast journal
    >checker is enabled.  You need only use tunefs -j enable or tunefs -j
    >disable.
    >
    >The SUJ flag in the filesystem moved for backwards compat reasons.  If you
    >have an earlier SUJ volume please disable it with the old tunefs and
    >enable again with the new tunefs.

Hi Jeff,

All looks good. I did notice two small things:

1. Your new code no longer outputs "soft-updates, journal" from mount(8) e.g.

   old code: /dev/ad8s3d on /export (ufs, NFS exported, local, soft-updates, journal)
   new code: /dev/ad8s3d on /export (ufs, NFS exported, local, soft-updates)

If you are not planning to keep the "journal" label in the output of mount(8) is
there any other mechanism to verify that a fs has actually got SUj switched on ?
(this seems to work actually: #dumpfs /dev/ad8s3d | grep -i journal).

2. dmesg(8) displays this upon bootstrap:

   WARNING: /export: GJOURNAL flag on fs but no gjournal provider below

I have done at least 4 ALT_BREAK_TO_DEBUGGERs' (~^B) -> reset ... no probs
whatsoever.

Thanks!

  -Alex

IMPORTANT: This email remains the property of the Australian Defence Organisation and is subject to the jurisdiction of section 70 of the CRIMES ACT 1914.  If you have received this email in error, you are requested to contact the sender and delete the email.