bce(4) on IBM BladeCenter HS22

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Wed Jan 20 14:02:20 UTC 2010

Pyun YongHyeon wrote:
 > On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 08:23:13PM +0100, Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > Pyun YongHyeon <pyunyh at gmail.com> wrote:
 > > > Thanks for the detailed information. I vaguely guess bce(4) used
 > > > wrong PHY address for controller. How about attached patch?
 > > > The patch just reset the PHY address to 1, it's not correct way to
 > > > set it but just wants to know whether brgphy(4) is attached to the
 > > > PHY.
 > >
 > > Unfortunately, it produces almost the same output,
 > > except the registers now read 0xffff instead of 0x0000:
 > >
 > :-(
 >
 > Ok, could you remove the safety belt of bce_miibus_read_reg() to
 > allow accessing all PHY address? You can comment out
 > sc->bce_phy_addr check in bce_miibus_read_reg() to allow
 > mii_phy_probe try to read all 32 possible PHY addresses.
 > Does mii(4) probe manage to read something?

No luck, I'm afraid (as was expected).  No PHY can be found
on any of the addresses.  The PHY addresses 2 and 31 return
0x0000, all others return 0xffff.

While debugging and searching I found this message from
David Christensen:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2009-August/022648.html

It seems that the PHY on the 5709S is different from the
others and requires some non-trivial code to be written.  :-(
I posted a follow-up in the freebsd-net list and copied
David.  Maybe he has some news.

This whole issue is quite important.  IBM is phasing out
the previous blade generation (HS21), so all new blades
are HS22 which have the BCM5709S interfaces.  As it stands
now, FreeBSD cannot be used on IBM blades.

Best regards
   Oliver

"If you aim the gun at your foot and pull the trigger, it's
UNIX's job to ensure reliable delivery of the bullet to
where you aimed the gun (in this case, Mr. Foot)."
        -- Terry Lambert, FreeBSD-hackers mailing list.