Bug about sched_4bsd?

Jeff Roberson jroberson at jroberson.net
Tue Jan 19 01:43:55 UTC 2010

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010, Kohji Okuno wrote:

> Hello, Attilio,
>
> I think setpriority() can set priority to sleeping threads.
> Is it really safe?

I agree, in this code path maybe_resched is not properly locking
curthread.  curthread will be sched_lock and the sleeping thread will be a
sleepq lock.  I believe that since &sched_lock is ordered after container
locks it would be sufficient to compare the two td_lock pointers and
acquire sched_lock if they are not equal.  Someone should look at other
maybe_resched callers or add an assert that curthread->td_lock is always
&sched_lock in this function.

Thanks,
Jeff

> Thank you,
> Kohji Okuno
>
>> 2010/1/18 Kohji Okuno <okuno.kohji at jp.panasonic.com>:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Thank you, Attilio.
>>> I checked your patch. I think that your patch is better.
>>> I tested the patch quickly, and I think it's OK.
>>> # This probrem does not occur easily :-<
>>>

>>> What do you think about maybe_resched()?
>>> I have never experienced about maybe_resched(), but I think that the
>>> race condition may occur.
>>>
>>> <<Back Trace>>
>>> sched_4bsd.c:     maybe_resched()
>>> sched_4bsd.c:     resetpriority_thread()
>>> sched_4bsd.c:     sched_nice()                  get thread_lock(td)
>>> kern_resource.c:  donice()