DisplayPort

Robert Noland rnoland at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jan 13 12:28:47 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-01-12 at 21:07 -0500, Mike Burns wrote:
> On 2010-01-12 19.16.10 -0600, Robert Noland wrote:
> > On Tue, 2010-01-12 at 10:19 -0500, Mike Burns wrote:
> > > Is there any work being done on DisplayPort?  Are there any patches
> > > floating around that I can try?
> >
> > On radeon's it should work in X.  I don't remember if you need the ddx
> > driver from git or not though.  I'm doubt that intel will work, since
> > they have totally stopped working on anything that isn't GEM/KMS.
> >
> > It isn't entirely clear what you are asking about... but at least the
> > video hardware is relevant.
>
> I had expected dmesg to say something when I plugged the DisplayPort monitor
> in, or I had at least expected something in dmesg mentioning that it knew
> there was a DisplayPort device on the system (`dmesg | grep vga | wc -l'
> gives six results, for example).  I had assumed, because of all this, that
> FreeBSD simply didn't recognize DisplayPort.
>
> This laptop has two graphics cards in it; I'm currently using the Intel GM45
> which you mention probably doesn't support DisplayPort.  The other card (ATI
> Mobility Radeon 3650 HD) causes the system to hang just after the boot
> prompt (where it displays the |/-\ animation, but it hangs on the |).
>
> So that's where I am now.  Moving forward: who do I pester about getting the
> Intel card to understand DisplayPort?  Where do I file a bug about the ATI
> card preventing the system from booting (and how do I even send useful
> information besides "it doesn't boot")?.

The multiple card case is doomed to failure for the time being.  I
expect the issue that you are having booting with the radeon is that it
is a hybrid setup.  I forget the name of it, but it will use the intel
chip when it doesn't need power and switch to the radeon when it does.
If your bios has options to fully disable the intel chip and only use
the radeon, then I suspect that you may have better luck.

I've been told that DPs worked on console on radeons, though hot-plug
support likely doesn't.  When I asked the amd folks about it, they told
me that all of the support should be in the X driver now, but I think
you might need the driver from git.

As for intel.  You might get it to work if you updated the DDX (X
driver) to the 2.9 series, but you will lose drm support since they
dropped support for anything that doesn't have GEM.

Who to bug?  Well, that would likely be me, but my time is in very short
supply right now and I don't actually have any DP hardware.

robert.

--
Robert Noland <rnoland at FreeBSD.org>
FreeBSD